William Todd was Beverley Golf Club captain in 1905. He was born in Beverley in 1862, the eldest son of Stephen Ellis Todd and Elizabeth Cussons. His father was a solicitor and in 1871 the family lived on Alexandra Terrace.
William trained as a solicitor and in 1881 lived with his sister Ethel in Bristol while undergoing his training. He returned to Beverley by 1891 and returned to live with his parents and siblings in Union Road off Wood Lane. The family had moved to Alexandra Terrace by 1901 and there were three solicitors living there. By 1911, William had married Florence Blythe Robinson and they had started a family while living at 41 North Bar Without in Beverley. William died in the Cottage Hospital in 1947 aged 85 while living at 50 Westwood Road.
Florence Blythe Robinson was born in 1878, the daughter of G A Robinson who was captain in 1906, the year after William, and who had previously been the club’s secretary. William and Florence married in 1907. Florence was possibly the Miss Robinson who was lady captain in 1904.
William and his father were members of the well-known Crust, Todd and Mills and Sons firm of solicitors that existed in Lairgate, Beverley for over 200 years. It is now part of Sandersons Solicitors.