William Henry Tulley was Beverley Golf Club captain in 1903.He was the first captain not to have lived in Beverley, reflecting the recent availability of mechanised transport. The eight miles from his home on Anlaby Road would certainly have been difficult without a motor vehicle.
He was born in 1865 in Hull,the son of William Tulley, a Master Mariner, and his wife Emily.
In 1892 he was secretary of T Gray and Sons, steam tug owners of Wellington Street Hull. He was also a steamship and tug owner in his own right. He married Ada Sanderson in 1895.
In the 1911 census he lived at 339 Anlaby Road, Hull. He died later that year in December aged 46.