James Ernest Pease was born in 1869 in Routh, East Yorkshire where his father was Rector. He was one of eight children.
According to Bulmer’s directory of 1892, the living is an ancient rectory, and the patronage has descended with the manor from the earliest times. The gross value at the time, according to the Diocesan calendar, was £525, including three acres of glebe and residence. The rector, the Rev. George Clifford Pease, M.A., Magdalen College, Cambridge, held the living from 1865 to his death in 1894.
James won the Fraser medal five times between 1891 and 1893; this was when the competition was played twice each year. He was probably the club’s first golfer of talent to be from the local area and held the amateur record of 37 for the “old” course (it was nine holes at the time) and 76 when it was played twice. This record stood until the course was extended to 18 holes.
James became a student at Pembroke College, Cambridge in 1888 having previously studied at Malvern College. He was awarded his degree and ordained as a deacon in 1891 and as a priest in 1894. He was Curate of Hevingham, Norfolk, 1893-1906. Vicar of Haveringland, and Rector of Brandiston, 1906-13. P.C. of Hackness with Harwood Dale, Yorks., 1913-16. While at Hackness he married Janet E Little in 1916.
He was Rector of Heydon with Irmingland, 1916-26, and Vicar of Guestwick, Norfolk, 1918-26. He died on Dec. 19, 1926.