J H Hobson was Beverley Golf Club captain in 1900. A 1892 directory describes Joseph Hannath Hobson as the borough treasurer and records that he lives at Hengate house (subsequently occupied by Arthur B Reckitt and his family). In 1911, he lived with his family at a postal address given as “Beverley Bank” and his occupation was “Bank Manager”. The Beverley Bank occupied the site that is now Barclays Bank. It opened in 1793 and was unusual in being able to issue its own bank notes.
JH Hobson was born in 1850. He married Emily West in Beverley in 1877. He died on 29 December 1917. In 1851, he lived with his parents on Westwood Road. His father, Frederick, was Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes.
A recreation ground in Mill Lane was opened in 1884 on a 4-acre. site bought by J. H. Hobson. In 1893 it included a cycling track, as well as cricket, football, and tennis grounds, but part of it was sold in 1912 and it later provided facilities for only bowling and tennis. It was sold in 1932 and built upon.