George Ford was Beverley Golf Club captain in 1899 – the tenth anniversary of the club’s formation. He was also among the original members of the club in 1889 as he acted as auditor for the first set of financial accounts.
George was born in Billingshill, East Yorkshire in 1839 and died in 1930 while living at Keldgate House. He was the son of John and Charlotte Ford who farmed near Beeford in the 1840’s. By 1851 they had retired and lived in Flemingate, Beverley. They remained there until George’s father died and in 1871 the family lived on Beckside. In 1881 George still worked as a bank cashier and now lived on Keldgate.
In 1911 he had retired and his occupation was described as a retired bank cashier. He lived at Lansdowne House, Cross Street, Beverley with his wife, Ellen.