George Arthur Thompson was Beverley Golf Club captain in 1898, three years after his wife had been lady captain. He was the father of Beverley’s most notable lady golfer, Bertha Thompson.
George was the son of Lieutenant Colonel George Hamilton Thompson and his wife Anne Maister. In the 1851-1871 census returns, his father was described as a lieutenant colonel in the East Yorkshire Militiamen. He appears to have been the commandant of the East York section of the militia head-quartered in Beverley. In 1871 George Hamilton Thompson was made an Honorary Colonel.
George Arthur was born in about 1841 at Bolton Lodge in Bolton Percy, a village between York and Tadcaster. The family lived there until the 1850’s when they moved to Kirk Hammerton, a village on the road from York to Harrogate.
George Hamilton Thompson was born in Welton in about 1806 and he died in Scarborough in 1886; his wife was born in Hull in about 1814. She was a member of the Maister family, a well-known family of merchants in Hull. The Maister family was already connected to the Cayley’s as Henry Maister married Mary Cayley, the daughter of Arthur Cayley, the 3rd Baronet – a classic union of money and rank. They had nine children but Mary died in a fire which consumed their house in High St. Hull. Henry Maister re-built the house almost immediately and this is now in the ownership of the National Trust.
George married Dora Cayley on 22 September 1870. They lived initially in Kirkby Misperton with his parents at Kirk Hammerton Hall. They then moved to Terrington [1874-1880] but in the 1881 census are with her parents at High Hall in Brompton-by-Sawdon near Scarborough, the family seat of the Cayleys. Since her mother died in April 1881, the family may have been temporarily away from their home in Terrington. High Hall is now used as a residential school.
George became an officer in the 12th Lancers but was not active at the time of the 1871 census shortly after his marriage. By the time of the census return of 1891, the family had moved to Register House, Register Square, Beverley, sometime before 1896 when their youngest son was born in Beverley. This is the house that is now part of the County Council offices. George Thompson had become the Registrar of Deeds for the East Riding, a position occupied in the early 19th century by an ancestor of his wife. Bertha, aged 14, was living at home and was identified as a scholar in the 1891 census return. She was probably being taught at home by a Governess, Lucy Hilda Brooksbank. However, Lucy’s status in the household is recorded as “visitor” which may mean she was not actually working in the house. The family was still in Register Square in 1901, but Bertha was not.
George Thompson was a member of the Beverley and East Riding Golf Club and in 1898 when Bertha was 22 years old he became the captain of the club. His wife also played and she was the third lady captain of the club in 1895.
G A Thompson died on 22 Nov 1908 – an event recorded in the notebook maintained by Page Barrow of Bishop Burton