Frank Fitzroy Lambert was club captain in 1902. He was an oil, seed and general merchant in Beverley. By the time of World War 1, he and his wife, Emily, lived at Langholm, North Bar Without, Beverley, a large house now being used as a retirement home. Frank was born in 1855 in Hull and he married Emily Augusta Harrison in 1882. Frank’s father was a well-to-do commission agent and Frank initially had the same job; Frank’s wife was the daughter of Arthur Harrison a successful corn merchant of Cottingham and this would have been his route into the merchant business.
The Lamberts lost a son in World War 1, Captain Kenneth Lambert, of the 1st Bn. King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. Kenneth was killed in May 1915 at the age of 28 and is buried at Oosttaverne, Belgium and is commemorated on the memorial plaque in St Mary’s Church. Another son, Humphrey was decorated with the award of the Companion, Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.). He gained the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in the service of the Royal Artillery.
Frank died in 1916, leaving a considerable legacy to Joseph Malet Lambert, his older brother. His estate was valued at £113,000, equivalent in today’s money to about £30 milllion basing it on growth in earnings. Malet Lambert gave his name to a school in Hull. He was was vicar of St. John’s Parish, Hull, later elevated to Dean of Hull, Canon of York, and Archdeacon of the East Riding.