Edward Hodgson was the Beverley Golf Club captain in 1897. His brother-in-law Dr J J Fraser was the first club captain some eight years earlier and had married his sister Edith. His older brother, Richard, was President of the club from 1912 to 1926.
Edward was the second son of Richard and Maria Hodgson who lived in Westwood Hall on Westwood Road, Beverley, the house he built in about 1854. Richard was the owner of Hodgson’s tannery in Flemingate and was the son of the William Hodgson who started the tannery in 1812. In 1881 the tannery employed about 300 people. The circular area on the Westwood that is known as “the gallop” that intersects the golf course on the 1st and 3rd holes and is also adjacent to the 1st and 5th fairways, is also referred to as the “tan” since leather off-cuts from the tannery were spread along the gallop to provide a nice surface for the horses to train on. Now it’s just grassed.
Edward married Constance Frances Hodson in the 1880’s; she was the daughter of a “Stuff Merchant” from Manningham in Bradford. The family lived first in Beverley but then moved to Bridlington.