(Henry William) Eddison Bainton was the very first honorary secretary of the Beverley Golf Club, elected at the inaugural meeting of members in the Holderness Hotel in 1889. He only held the position briefly, giving way to G A Robinson who was secretary until 1903. Eddison was born in Paddington Middlesex in November 1869, the son of Henry William Bainton and Jessie Alice Eddison. He was baptised in Lancaster Gate Christ Church the following month.
The family lived in Alexandra Terrace at the time of the 1871 census. By 1881, Eddison was a boarder at a small prep school in Leamington. Eddison’s father and grand-father were both solicitors in Beverley and Eddison followed in their footsteps. So in the 1891 census we find him visiting a family in Shropshire and his occupation is recorded as an Articled Clerk. Eddison married Maria Catherine Reeves in Hastings in 1908, the year after his father died. After their marriage they went to live in Shotteswell near Banbury living off private means.
There is a record of a Captain Henry William Eddison Bainton serving in the Army Remount Service sometime between 1914 and 1923. The Army Remount Service was the body responsible for the purchase and training of horses and mules for the British Army between 1887 and 1942.
Early in his military career Eddison was awarded the Miltary Cross when he was a temporary lieutenant in the Royal West Kent Regiment. The London Gazette reports the award.
Eddison’s father lived with his family in New Walk, Beverley but according to Bulmer’s directory of 1892 he was also lord of the manor of North Frodingham.
It is believed Eddison died in 1936 aged 68 in Hampstead.